Monday , 18 May 2026
Home International Sports Formula 1 Alonso says Aston Martin “will not be happy with second”
Formula 1International Sports

Alonso says Aston Martin “will not be happy with second”

Spaniard Fernando Alonso. (AFP)

Silverstone: Two-time Formula One champion Fernando Alonso said on Monday his new Aston Martin team would “not be happy with second” as it tries to build toward a title challenge in future years.

Alonso joins as a replacement for fellow former champion Sebastian Vettel, who retired at the end of last season.

Aston Martin was seventh in last year’s constructors’ standings with Vettel and Lance Stroll, son of the team’s executive chairman Lawrence Stroll.

“We have to make sure that we have a good baseline for Aston Martin cars that will come in the future. Last year, I think the team went through some difficulties during the first part of the year but they had a good second part of the year, so we have to see that progress also into 2023,” Alonso said as the team launched its 2023 car.

“We will not be happy with fourth, we will not be happy with third, we will not be happy with second. So maybe we cannot win immediately, but that’s something that we need to make sure, that this car is the baseline for future years.”

The car was launched at Aston Martin’s as-yet unfinished new factory, which Lawrence Stroll heralded as a “game changer” and a key part of its long-term plans. The team is due to move in later this year.

 

Source: AP

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Al Obaidli clinches snooker gold as Team Qatar continues to shine at GCC Games Doha 2026

Staff Reporter Doha: Team Qatar’s Ali Al Obaidli produced another outstanding display...

Qatar experts supporting delivery of FIFA World Cup 2026 under FIFA-SC partnership

Staff Reporter Doha: A number of staff from the Supreme Committee for...

José Mourinho returns to Real Madrid: “The Special One” set for stunning Bernabéu Comeback

José Mourinho is set to make a sensational return to Real Madrid,...

Xabi Alonso confirmed as Chelsea manager: Blues begin new era with major transfer plans already underway

Chelsea have officially confirmed the appointment of Xabi Alonso as the club’s...