Monday , 18 May 2026
Home International Sports Football LaLiga calls for arrests after Vinícius Júnior hate campaign
FootballInternational Sports

LaLiga calls for arrests after Vinícius Júnior hate campaign

Vinicius Junior reacts during a Spanish La Liga match between Valencia and Real Madrid

LaLiga has called for the arrest of fans behind a hate campaign aimed at Real Madrid forward Vinícius Júnior ahead of Sunday’s derby against Atlético Madrid.

Some fans had claimed on social media that they would attend the game at the Metropolitano wearing masks, enabling them to racially abuse the Brazil international without being identified.

Vinícius has frequently been targeted with racist abuse from opposition fans, including at the Madrid derby. Last year, four Atlético fans were charged after an effigy of Vinícius was hung from a bridge.

“LaLiga wishes to announce that it will proceed to formally report and request the immediate arrest of the instigators behind a hate campaign seeking to promote racist and derogatory acts at the upcoming match between Atlético de Madrid and Real Madrid,” the league said on Saturday.

“The aforementioned campaign constitutes the crime of incitement to hatred, as clearly defined in the Penal Code. LaLiga vigorously condemns these actions that — directly or indirectly — encourage, promote and incite hatred against an individual, in this case, the player Vinícius Jr., because of his race.

“These actions also involve the aggravating circumstances outlined in sections 3 and 4 of Article 510 of the Penal Code, as ‘the acts are such to disturb public peace.’ LaLiga will not tolerate such behaviour under any circumstances.”

It’s not clear how many fans intended to participate in the campaign, with media coverage based on a handful of posts on social media. Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti was reluctant to discuss the issue Saturday.

“Obviously we aren’t thinking about that,” Ancelotti said. “We don’t talk about that. The justice system is taking action. … We have to focus, there are other bodies that must worry about that.”

In June, three Valencia fans were jailed for eight months for racially abusing Vinícius during a LaLiga game in May 2023, in the first verdict of its kind in Spain.

Related Articles

Al Obaidli clinches snooker gold as Team Qatar continues to shine at GCC Games Doha 2026

Staff Reporter Doha: Team Qatar’s Ali Al Obaidli produced another outstanding display...

Qatar experts supporting delivery of FIFA World Cup 2026 under FIFA-SC partnership

Staff Reporter Doha: A number of staff from the Supreme Committee for...

José Mourinho returns to Real Madrid: “The Special One” set for stunning Bernabéu Comeback

José Mourinho is set to make a sensational return to Real Madrid,...

Xabi Alonso confirmed as Chelsea manager: Blues begin new era with major transfer plans already underway

Chelsea have officially confirmed the appointment of Xabi Alonso as the club’s...